Development Applications

Land use development requirements

Development in the Village of Lytton is subject to building permit application requirements and the following Village bylaws, depending on the project:

  • Building Bylaw
  • Zoning Bylaw
  • Official Community Plan Bylaw
  • Subdivision Bylaw
  • Sign Bylaw

If your project doesn’t meet the requirements set out in the Village’s bylaws, you may need to apply for an amendment or variance , prior to applying for a building permit:


  • Development Variance Permit (DVP)
  • Official Community Plan Amendment
  • Zoning Bylaw Amendment
  • Approval by the Board of Variance (BOV)

What is a Development Variance Permit?

A Development Variance Permit (DVP) is a permit required to vary regulations in a development bylaw (i.e., zoning bylaw, subdivision bylaw, or sign bylaw), such as building setbacks, height, or parking requirements.

About Development Variance Permits (DVPs)

  • A DVP cannot be used to change the uses permitted on a property or the density of development; to do this, you need to apply for rezoning.
  • All DVP applications are subject to the approval of the Village of Lytton’s Council.

Before you apply for a development variance permit, you are encouraged to:

  • discuss the proposed variance with staff prior to submitting an application,
  • consider the potential impact of the proposed variance on the community, and
  • explore alternative design options that eliminate the need for a variance.


Development Variance Permit applications

Email for any questions about the Development Variance Permit application process.

Include the following with your inquiry:  name, phone number, property address of the building site, and a description of what you are proposing to build.

What is Development Permit Area?

Certain lands are designated as Development Permit Areas within the Village’s Official Community Plan to respond to the following Village objectives:

  • control of the form and character of development
  • protection from hazardous conditions, such as steep slopes, intermittent stream gullies, or unstable soils
  • protection of the natural environment (e.g., riparian areas, energy, water conservation, greenhouse gases)
  • protection of farming

If your property is within a designated Development Permit Area, you need to get a Development Permit prior to:

  • altering land,
  • constructing or altering buildings or structures, or
  • subdividing.

Development Permits

 A Development Permit may specify requirements about the following:

  • character of development, including landscaping
  • siting, form, exterior design and finish of buildings and structures
  • environmental protection
  • protection from hazardous conditions

At this time Council has temporarily suspended Development Permit requirements until Council and the community have an opportunity to:

  • re-establish Development Permit Area mapping,
  • reconsider the current guidelines and ongoing relevancy, and
  • develop appropriate policy direction.

A voluntary Development Permit is requested for all new commercial and multi-residential developments.