The Village of Lytton was significantly impacted by the June 30, 2021 Lytton Creek Wildfire, which destroyed at least 90 per cent of the community, including most of the business community.
The Lytton and Region Economic Recovery: Recovery Work Plan and Recovery Needs Report provides a strategic path forward for economic recovery for the Village and areas, which is essential for Lytton’s recovery.
Economic Recovery Plan
The Village of Lytton engaged O’Leary and Associates, a British Columbia-based economic development consulting firm, to research and develop a Lytton and Region Economic Recovery Plan.
The final plan was received by Council on May 10, 2023.
The Economic Recovery Plan provides the following:
- economic recovery strategy recommendations that will inform and integrate with the Village Official Community Plan and Economic Development Strategy, and
- best practices and recommendations for programs and support for the Village of Lytton business sector.
- Watch the May 10, 2023 Council update: See the meeting recording.
- Read the Economic Recovery Plan Survey and Key Stakeholder Summary.
- Watch the March 22, 2023 Council update: See the meeting recording
- Watch the March 8, 2023 Council update: See the meeting recording.
Funding for the Economic Recovery Plan was allocated from the Ministry of Forests Lands Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development funds.
The Village received the following funds to support economic recovery:
- $500,000 from the Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development for focusing on the economic restart of the Village
- a $100,000 grant from the Northern Development Initiative Trust for an Economic Development position