Land Use

Land Use / Zoning

Building Permits


Land Use

Every property in the Village of Lytton has a zoning classification, outlined in the Zoning Bylaw, and a future land use designation, outlined in the Official Community Plan (OCP). The zoning classification determines what can be done on a property currently and the future land use designation establishes the Village’s long-term vision for a property. All development is subject to regulations described in the Zoning Bylaw, both general regulations and the applicable zone.

Find your zone

The primary purposes of the R1 (Low Density Residential) zoning designation is to provide for single-family homes and two-family residences.

Download the Zoning Map PDF or link to the online interactive map below.

check the code

In general, your building is going to be classified as Part  9 or Part 3 of the BC Building Code. Part 9 of the BC building code is intended for single family and small commercial buildings as well as medium to low hazard industrial occupancies. Most buildings will fall under this part of the code. Part 9 applies to all buildings of three storeys or less in building height that have a building area not exceeding 600 m sq.

To find out where in the code the building fits, ask yourself if you need an architect. An architect may be required if your building fits into one of the categories listed in Bulletin 31 or if it fits the criteria of a Part 3 building.

gather your documents

Gather the following documents and have them ready before you hire your team. The qualified professionals who you hire and work with will require these documents to get started.

Obtain a State of Title Certificate from BC Land Title & Survey Home – LTSA and any supporting documentation listed on the Title. These are needed for your building plans, Zoning & Building Analysis Summaries and building application. Understand any charges registered on title such as Building Schemes, utility right-of-way, etc.

The Owner’s Undertaking and Letter of Authorization for an Agent to handle your permit application can be completed within Cloudpermit online. To view these forms, click Forms 

hire your team


Hire a Professional Engineers

Due to ground disturbance, all new structures will need the services of a Professional Geotechnical Engineer to determine the bearing capacity and structural considerations of the soil and determine the compaction of engineered fill; and a Professional Structural Engineer to design the foundation, and any retaining walls over 1.2 m (4ft) in height.

The exception is for detached garages, carports and garden structures less than 55 square metres (592 sf) for simple buildings in accordance with the building code.

Both the Geotechnical Engineer and Structural Engineer must provide:

The structural engineer also needs to provide a digitally signed and sealed set of structural blueprints for the building permit.

Hire a Licensed Contractor or choose to be an Owner Builder

Hire a building contractor and designer to draw up your building plans as both will be able to help with the design of your building. At this stage it would also be helpful to engage a mechanical contractor to give advice on what heating and cooling systems would work best with your design.

Hire a certified energy advisor to help with your design so that you will meet the requirement for Energy Step Code 3 in Zone 5 (3300 Degree days below 18°C) and to provide a “Pre-Construction Compliance Report” for your building application.



Design your building

Once you have determined what you can build on the property, what your maximum allowable lot coverage is, the minimum and maximum height and width of a building, the setbacks to the front, rear and sides of the building you can then decide what size and type of building you can construct.

Pick a house design that suits your needs for size, height, style, number of bedrooms, one storey or two storey, construction type, and other features. Design considerations include construction type, stud spacing, insulation, air barrier system and location, heating, cooling, ventilation, hot water system, windows, doors, and any other features.

Review the Checklist to determine what other documents you need and for other requirements.